Tuesday, January 1, 2013

What was your happiest thing today?

What was your happiest thing today? When I was little, my mother would ask this question when we were gathered together in the evening.   "What was your happiest thing today?"  She would then write everyone's responses in a notebook.   As we grew older, she didn't document all the responses but would still ask the question occasionally during dinners to spur the conversation.  You can learn a lot about your kids by asking this question!  Even if we sighed and rolled our eyes, it made us think about our day and the good things in it.

I have continued the original tradition of writing down my happiest moments of each day.    It takes only a minute or two and it is a great way to focus on the positive.   I love to go back and flip through my old calendars.   They bring back great memories.

Sometimes I miss a day.  Sometimes my happiest moments are a stretch (like "Got my laundry done").  Sometimes I stray and write down something terrible that happened because I feel compelled to document it.  But most of the time, they are the moments that I most enjoyed.  

This year I purchased a floral spiral datebook with inspirational sayings to document my happy moments.  In the past  I've used wall calendars, plain notebooks, on-line diaries - whatever struck my fancy at the time.  I've even used the free calendar given to me by my real estate agent.

Facebook is great for sharing and I use it too - but I still prefer hand writing my daily happy notes on a calendar that sits by my chair and allows me to be free with my thoughts, doodle in the margins and doesn't provide feedback of any kind from others.  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it, Dana! Did you know that the tradition at Skogfjorden now is to sit around the table in the cabin each night while each kid says "En God Ting" that happened to them that day? We do it in stabsmøte as well. A great tradition, I think, and I'm glad to hear that you do it, too! Welcome to the blogosphere!

Dana Whitford said...

Thank you Jenny! I did not know that but that is so cool!

Mike and Deb Verginia said...

What a great idea! Love the new blog and look forward to your posts!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea. What makes us happy each day!
I have done a similar journal - What am I grateful for today?

Thanks for sharing Dana. Am enjoying your blog.

Wanda