Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Place for My "Craft" Stuff

My husband and I have been trying to find and buy a bigger home for a few years now. We both want more space for our respective hobbies. I want an art/craft studio and he wants a monster garage and gourmet kitchen! In the meantime, I've been trying to keep our house from getting too cluttered so that I am prepped to stage and sell it.

After a few failed attempts at buying homes we liked, we both decided that our hobbies are too important to put them aside any longer just to keep the house and garage clean.

So I transformed the third bedroom in our house. It is no longer the office/exercise equipment/ironing board room. It is my art room! I bought a large, lightweight folding table where I can display and use all my treasured craft tools. I have a bookshelf dedicated to displaying only things I create. I love this space now. No more doing projects on the kitchen table, dining room table and living room floor. I feel inspired every time I go in the space.

Sure, it now means that I use the dining room table when I work from home, that I have to get the ironing board out every time I iron in my tiny laundry room and that I park my car outside so my husband has space to work on his project car. But it is SO worth it to have space dedicated to what gives us joy.

When my friend, Wanda, bought her townhouse, she took the small bedroom to sleep in and made the master bedroom her craft room. Now she is the envy of her friends who come over regularly to make cards and jewelry in her fabulous space.

Whatever you like to do, I hope you can find a creative way to make space for it this year because you will also find that once you have the space, you also will find the time to do those things you are passionate about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dana!!!

Fun blog and I am so happy to know that I helped to inspire you!!!!!!!!!!

Wanda Weberg

Dana Whitford said...

Thank you Wanda. Happy crafting this year!