Saturday, February 23, 2013

Loving the World of Mixed Media


I only recently discovered how wonderful working in mixed media really is. A whole new world has opened up for me. One of my favorite things is that I already owned so many mixed media art supplies. Seems I've been collecting them for years. Now I make regular trips to my storage locker to dig out old jewelry, papers, sheet music, pastels, paints and notecards. I knew there was a reason I was keeping all this stuff!

I also found that YouTube is chock full of all kinds of tutorials. Nothing like free art classes!

I worked on this piece, "Grow Gratitude," all week creating one layer a day. It was created with a placemat, napkin, sheet music, gesso, tissue paper, acrylics, watercolors, rubber stamps, old book pages, ribbon, pastels, felt pens and die cut leaves I found at Value Village in a tin container. Yes, well, the only bad part of this new hobby is that I am addicted to looking for craft treasures at Goodwill and Value Village. I have to be careful not to accumulate more stuff for the storage locker!

I started a 'gratitude journal' this year so the theme seemed relevant to me right now.

I can hardly wait for my weekends these days to see what other goodies are tucked away in storage that I can use to create something new.

No comments: